Over ten years ago, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) noted there were a growing number of children and youth who needed better access and more appropriate mental health services. In 2013, with support from the Nebraska Children and Families Foundation (NCFF), Region 6 Behavioral Healthcare, and The Kim Foundation, Project Harmony joined ranks with Nebraska Families Collaborative and over thirty other partners to improve mental health services for children and youth in the Omaha Metropolitan Area.
NebraskaMentalHealth.com is an outcome of this effort.
NebraskaMentalHealth.com provides centralized access to local and regional mental health information in a single location. The goal of NebraskaMentalHealth.com is to expand knowledge about mental health terminology and to help connect those in need with the mental health information, treatment, and services. The website includes:
- Basic mental health information;
- Common mental health terminology;
- Information about evidence based therapy practices (EBPs);
- Local therapist information;
- Links to mental health related sites on the local, state, and national levels; and,
- Other resource addressing basic needs (such as transportation, food pantries, and utility assistance).
With new resources added continually, this isn’t just about finding a mental health provider. It is about feeling informed and empowered.