Your Content Goes HereAn Integrated Substance Abuse and Mental Health Evaluation combines features of a Mental Health Evaluation and a Substance Abuse Evaluation. Increasingly, it has been seen the population of those with mental health disorders and those with substance abuse disorders overlap significantly.
Who Can Complete: A dually credentialed clinician who is either a Licensed Independent Mental Health Practitioner (LIMHP), a Licensed Mental Health Practitioner (LMHP), or a Provisionally Licensed Mental Health Practitioner (PLMHP) AND a provisionally or fully licensed alcohol and drug counselor (LADC or PLADC) with adequate training, education, and credentials.
What this evaluation should include:
- Presenting Problems
- Medical History
- Social/Work/School/Military history and functioning
- Detailed substance use history (when it started, how it progressed and current status)
- Legal history
- Family and social history, including past and current exposure to violence/trauma
- History and current mental health concerns
- Past Treatment History
- May include rating on ASAM criteria (American Society on Addiction Medicine)
- Mental Status Observations including suicide or violence risk
- Collateral information from referring party, family members, and other providers is ESSENTIAL to a good evaluation
- Clinical formulation (the professional’s insight into your past and current strategies)
- Future treatment recommendations
Tips for your first visit:
- So that you don’t forget, you may want to write down a list of symptoms you are struggling with.
- Remember to be honest.
- If you are currently on prescription medications, it may be helpful to provide a list to the clinician.
- Bring along any medical or mental health records you feel would be helpful.
- If you are anxious, it may help to ask a close friend or family member to come be a support for you.
When to refer:
- Whenever there are concerns of both a mental health and substance abuse disorder.
Summary: An Integrated Substance Abuse and Mental Health Evaluation combines features of a Mental Health Evaluation and a Substance Abuse Evaluation.